[vdr] [DISCUSSION REQUEST] reintroduce a common make configuration file in VDR-1.7.35

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Fri Dec 28 14:19:00 CET 2012

Am 28.12.2012 09:28, schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
> Well, if a plugin is no longer actively maintained, it's probably
> time to drop it. You know what they say about dead horses ;-).

Being actively developed and being needed are two different things. I
wouldn't want to drop all the plugins that aren't under active
development any more, as this would probably be true for 2/3 of my plugins.

> If you put all your plugins into PLUGINS/src under the VDR source
> directory (with
> the old Make.global still in place), change into PLUGINS/src and do
>
>    for i in *; do make -C $i all; done
>
> I would guess that they build regardless whether they use an old or new
> Makefile. Maybe you should give it a try.

Nope, as you forgot to filter out folders with version numbers. Plus,
any updated plugin (at least any built-in plugin) does no longer create
the *.so.$APIVERSION file, and there's no generic way to do this.

All updated plugins require an additional make install, that will create
the *.so.$APIVERSION in some folder defined in vdr.pc. However, some
old-style plugins will do totally different things on make install, like
xineliboutput for example.

Thats why I wasn't even able to set up a running test build of my VDR
yet, even though it complied without any issues: Total mess of .so files.

Cheers,

Udo