[vdr] [DISCUSSION REQUEST] reintroduce a common make configuration file in VDR-1.7.35

Lucian Muresan lucianm at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 29 13:40:22 CET 2012

On 12/29/2012 01:14 PM, Helmut Auer wrote:

>> If there is really a need for that special unsupported plugin, then
>> the best way
>> to go would be that at least one of all those distributions, who
>> currently
>> maintains that plugin, "republishes" it somewhere (AFAIR
>> projects.vdr-developer.org was invented for that?).
>>
>> First step could be to apply all those patches that are required to
>> get the
>> plugin to work with current VDR *developer* versions.
>>
>> If a plugin really is still needed by a bigger group of people, then it
>> definitively needs to be maintained at some *central* place. It
>> doesn't help if
>> every distribution creates their own patches. It's much better to
>> cooperate!
>>
> We are talking about > 100 Plugins. Maybe we can drop the half of these
> but > 50 will be remaining ...

Nevertheless, hosting them on vdr-developer.org seems to be the best
solution. If of those remaining, let's say, just the most wanted 10 to
30% of the plugins would find some "adoptive parents" we would have a
"win" situation. Those maintainers do not have to commit themselves
alone to keep the pace with vdr developer versions, rather several
skilled users even, who are able to contribute patches now and then and
also are interested in the specific plugins may jointly try to maintain
the plugins they are interested in and would be otherwise orphaned, in
that central place. Of course, distribution maintainers can join them
too, but really, the central place is really important here, and the
fact that such a plugin may be adapted to new API changes not just by
one single person who might not be available for that at some point.