[vdr] [DISCUSSION REQUEST] reintroduce a common make configuration file in VDR-1.7.35

fnu vdr at auktion.hostingkunde.de
Sun Dec 30 02:01:47 CET 2012

> von Christopher Reimer <c.reimer1993 at gmail.com>
> Yes, I am happy with the new makefiles.

I'm glad to hear this, but what about all the other developers and users?

Developer version back and forth, VDR 1.7.xx has become silently a somewhat
stable version over the years, due to it's HDTV capability. Becoming an
official stable is honestly long overdue. Nobody can really argue anymore,
1.7 is a developer version, because no HDTV user, not even Klaus, can go
back to stable SDTV VDR 1.6, whereas the majority doesn't have any hardware
for that anymore ...

A massive excluding change like this, is something for a new developer
branch and not a thing for a development cycle where the end could already
be smelled ...

And as far as I remember nobody did complain about the old Makefile
structur, and yes I mean nobody, because the two now known just changed it
w/o warning. Do what ever you need to do, I appriciate it, but remind always
some continuity for all others in the VDR universe.

The situation right now does need a solution, but it can't be the words of
Walter Ulbricht: "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer ..."

A compromise must be possible, whatever it looks like, otherwise my
comparison with "Louis XIV" hasn't been wrong ...

===
Kind regards
fnu