[vdr] IS there a working UPnP-AV/DLNA support for VDR?

Denis Loh denis.loh at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 9 20:45:16 CET 2012

Am 09.02.2012 16:33, schrieb Dr. Werner Fink:
> Hi,
>
> ... yep, I'm aware of http://upnp.vdr-developer.org/ but this one
> seems to be very dead.  Nevertheless I'd like to use a VDR as
> recording system only using the second coax line maybe extended
> by uncable to use two transponders over one coax line.  For this
> it would be perfect to be able to manage, control, and navigate
> the VDR and its menues over the DLNA support of this new TV.
>
>      Werner

Hi,

i am still working on it. However, progess is very slow, sorry.
Nevertheless, you cannot control the vdr the way you expected. An
default DLNA server only allows you to show media files (and live TV) on
your DLNA or UPnP capable device. You cannot schedule recordings,
start/stop the server or do anything beside watching media, unfortunatelly.

DLNA does not specify those features in its current version 1.5. It will
be supported in 2.0 and above, however it may take some years that
devices implementors will support them as they are mostly optional. I
even haven't seen any TV device which supports the tuner service
capability of a DLNA media server very well (In this case, you would be
able to switch channels by pressing a channel number or by
chan-up/chan-down).

Additionally, it won't be possible to show any EPG or OSD on an DLNA
device without work-a-rounds, like transcoding EPG/OSD into an MPEG
stream. There is a possibility to transmit text based date, but this is
not being supported by any TV device I know.

Well, DLNA sounds perfect when you don't expect too much: you may
exchange media from one device to another. You can share media of a
certain device to others and let them play it. But you cannot play files
which are not supported by the device, even though it may play the files
directly for instance via USB. Sounds ridiculous, but works as designed.

I work on an work-a-round to support scheduling records via browser
navigation. But, this is not very user friendly because you have to
"play" every command and simulate a media file to the TV. Every DLNA
server must support a web page where the server allows to show
additional information. I will use live among others in this case, as it
seems to do everything needed.

I hope this will help, somehow. Please let me know, if you miss
something to be supported.

Denis