[vdr] Patch suggestion: Force CAM reset before upcoming recording

Heikki Manninen hma at iki.fi
Wed Feb 29 12:22:28 CET 2012

On 29.2.2012, at 13.18, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> On 29.02.2012 12:13, Heikki Manninen wrote:
>> I have a number of different Conax CAM modules from different manufacturers and all of them disappear from VDR after a couple of days running. Hitting CAM reset on the CI menu will bring it back "online". Naturally all Conax channel recordings will fail silently as a result of this until the CAM has been brought back up. Switching to an encrypted channel just gives the standard "channel not available" message.
>>
>> This happens (for me) with Satelco DVB-C card with Satelco CI. From what I understand, this seems to be a common problem though I'm not sure whether it is limited to Satelco devices only.
>>
>> Would it be possible to force CAM reset on all CI slots when VDR is trying to start recording non-FTA channel?
>
> Wouldn't it be better to fix the actual problem and prevent
> the CAM from "disappearing"?

Of course as always. But we don't live in a perfect world ;)

I'm not too happy about the idea to start testing different DVB card/CI combos on my own expense to find one that works. Especially nowadays when finding non-USB/Linux supported tuners for cable reception is next to impossible.

--
Heikki M