[vdr] Patch suggestion: Force CAM reset before upcoming recording

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at tvdr.de
Wed Feb 29 12:28:01 CET 2012

On 29.02.2012 12:22, Heikki Manninen wrote:
> On 29.2.2012, at 13.18, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
>> On 29.02.2012 12:13, Heikki Manninen wrote:
>>> I have a number of different Conax CAM modules from different manufacturers and all of them disappear from VDR after a couple of days running. Hitting CAM reset on the CI menu will bring it back "online". Naturally all Conax channel recordings will fail silently as a result of this until the CAM has been brought back up. Switching to an encrypted channel just gives the standard "channel not available" message.
>>>
>>> This happens (for me) with Satelco DVB-C card with Satelco CI. From what I understand, this seems to be a common problem though I'm not sure whether it is limited to Satelco devices only.
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to force CAM reset on all CI slots when VDR is trying to start recording non-FTA channel?
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better to fix the actual problem and prevent
>> the CAM from "disappearing"?
>
> Of course as always. But we don't live in a perfect world ;)
>
> I'm not too happy about the idea to start testing different DVB card/CI combos on my own expense to find one that works. Especially nowadays when finding non-USB/Linux supported tuners for cable reception is next to impossible.

I wasn't suggesting that you get some new hardware.
What I meant was to fix the driver, which I would assume is
causing the problems.

Of course, there might as well be a problem in VDR's own CAM
handling code. However, I've looked through that several times
and didn't find anything that looks fishy. But if somebody
can point out a bug in there, I'd be happy to accept a fix.

Klaus