[vdr] Patch suggestion: Force CAM reset before upcoming recording

Johannes Truschnigg johannes at truschnigg.info
Wed Feb 29 12:29:53 CET 2012

Hi list,

my CAM drops out every once in a while, too. It's rather annoying, but I don't
know how to fix the problem, so I decided to work around it. Whenever my CAM
fails, the kernel/DVB driver seems to notice, and the debug ringbuffer
contents reflect this. An error message like

"dvb_ca adapter 0: DVB CAM link initialisation failed :("

also makes its way into syslog that way (because rsyslog retrieves messages
from /dev/kmsg).

I wrote a simple Python program that monitors a given logfile for the
appearance of this message, and then tries to trigger the appropriate SVDRP
HITK sequence via a plain and simple socket connection. So far, it works quite
well (no manual CAM resets had to be performed by my parents for the last four
weeks this way). If anyone happens to know a more reliable way to externally
trigger a CAM reset via VDR/SVDRP, please let me know - right now, everything
depends on the unchanged ordering of main menu entries, which is kind of
annoying.

@OP: If your drivers produce a similar message to mine when your CAM flakes
out, I could provide my (inelegant, but tiny and apparently working) script to
you. Let me know if you want to try it :)

--
with best regards:
- Johannes Truschnigg ( johannes at truschnigg.info )

www:   http://johannes.truschnigg.info/
phone: +43 650 2 133337
xmpp:  johannes at truschnigg.info

Please do not bother me with HTML-eMail or attachments. Thank you.