[vdr] howto ignore lines in channels.conf

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at tvdr.de
Mon Jan 16 11:51:26 CET 2012

On 16.01.2012 01:45, Tony Houghton wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 23:18:40 +0100
> cedric.dewijs at telfort.nl wrote:
>
>> There is one bit of information that I would like to add to
>> channels.conf, and that's the channel number. This information cannot
>> be added the README, and other files, as this is information that
>> only I use. My channel.conf now looks like this (from memory, I'm not
>> in front of the machine right now)

>> Nederland 1: *a whole lot of numbers*
>> Nederland 2  *a whole lot of numbers*
>>
>> This reminds me, it's now not possible to have a list of channels
>> with gaps in it. I would like it if I can create a list like this:
>>
>> #1..5 My favorite channels
>> 1 Discovery channel
>> 2 MTV
>> 3 Some other channel
>> 4 Comedy channel
>> 5 Some other channel
>>
>> #10..15 channels of my wife (just married this friday :-) )
>> 10 RTL 4
>> 11 RTL 8
>>
>> #20 channels we both like ;-)
>> 20 animal planet
>> 21 discovery channel (identical to channel 1)
>> 22 ...
>
> VDR can already do that. Before each numbered group add a line ":@1 ",
> ":@10 ", ":@20 " etc. Exclude the quites, but ISTR there was some
> problem if I didn't include a trailing space.

There's no, need for a trailing space.

>  I use this to make my
> channels numbered the same way as Freeview and Freesat, so I'd prefer it
> if channels lines had an LCN field instead of putting the numbers on
> separate lines.

An LCN field would only make sense if you have only channels from a single
broadcaster in your channels.conf. As soon as there are several broadcasters,
the numbers would most likely not be unique any more, and therefore useless.

> I think you can also use a : followed by a string without @ to add
> comments, which are shown in the EPG.

These are "channel group separators", which you can easily navigate through
with the Left and Right keys in live mode. The texts are *not* "shown in the
EPG", though.

Klaus