[vdr] RFE: Make VDR more friendly when using combinations of DVB-S, DVB-T and DVB-C

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at tvdr.de
Sat Jun 16 15:32:11 CEST 2012

On 15.06.2012 17:17, Ludi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some time ago, I started a discussion in german on the VDR forum about
> making the VDR more friendly for users that are simultaneously using
> different sources to receive channels:
> http://www.vdr-portal.de/board16-video-disk-recorder/board8-vdr-grundlagen/110156-%C3%BCberlegungen-zur-channels-conf-f%C3%BCr-dvb-c-s-t-mischbetrieb/index3.html
>
> I am going to explain the problem, when receiving channels from two
> different sources by using the second german public channel named ZDF:
>
> Suppose a user is receiving the channel ZDF by dvb-s and dvb-t. For the
> VDR, these are two different channels, and it probably is not a bad
> thing that the VDR differentiates between them because these channels
> might be of different quality (different data rates, etc.). However, as
> both sources name these channels often the same way, it is not easily
> possible to differentiate between the two channels in the VDR OSD,
> which is particularly annoying for the timers, one of the main VDR
> features.
>
> Currently, I work around this problem, by setting the VDR to not update
> channelnames and manually adding a suffix to the channelnames in the
> channels.conf. So, to use the example above and differentiate between
> the two channels, they could be renamed to ZDF-s and ZDF-t (or ZDF.s
> and ZDF.t, or...). In practice, I only only rename the channelnames of
> the source with the smallest number of channels; I know that the
> channelnames without suffix are those from the other source.
>
> @ Klaus
>
> Do you think that you could add an additional option to one of your
> next VDR releases, like "Add suffix about source to channelnames"; I
> could imagine such an option next to the "Update channels" option in
> the DVB section of the Setup in the OSD of the VDR.
>
> Since the information is already in the channels.conf for every
> channel, I assume, that it will not require huge changes to the VDR
> code to use channelnames-source (or something similar) instead of only
> the channelname in the channelname field of the channels.conf, when the
> corresponding option is active.

I'd rather have the channels.conf entries keep the names that are broadcast
in the SI data. I wouldn't want to add a "source" suffix there.

However, I could imagine adding a function like

   cString cChannel::NameWithSource(void)

which would return things like

   ZDF (DVB-T)
   ZDF (DVB-S)

or, shorter,

   ZDF (T)
   ZDF (S)

and using that function instead of the Name() function at the
appropriate places.

> In case, I am missing something, I would also like to ask everybody
> reading this to let us know, if for any reason, the idea about
> replacing the channelnames with channelname-source cannot work.

Well, it could work all right. But as I said, I'd like to keep that
raw data in the channels.conf entries.

Klaus