[vdr] RFE: Make VDR more friendly when using combinations of DVB-S, DVB-T and DVB-C

Marx acc.for.news at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 00:13:58 CEST 2012

I use VDR mainly via www frontends, but I agree that there is need to
tell VDR what to do with channels from different tuners. For example
detection of recordings collision doesn't take into account that
channels are from two different sources (two different tuners). It also
doesn't understand that it's possible to record simultanoesly from the
same transponder. Vdr itself allow for all of it, but module which
analyse collisions should be much more flexible. We also sometimes have
the same channels in SD and HD which has different name but they differ
only in quality.
I can imagine that it should be easily possible to teach colision
detection module that some devices can record at once, also that it's
possible to record multiple streams form the same transponder.
But it would be also great if we could virtually join some channels and
tell recording module that they are the same channel, so they for
example share EPG (it's possible now via plugins, I know). It should be
possible to tell which one should be picked at first if we record from
such virtual channel. Collision module should advice for example "record
from SD version of channel because it's on the same transponder that
second recording we have planned" or "move this recording from DVB-S
card to DVB-T card because DVB-S card records at the same time from
another channel".
I can give example: polish channel TVP 1 is available from Hotbird as
(1) SD version, (2) HD version. It's also available in DVB-T as (3) SD
version and (4) HD version. I have this channel also available in (5)
old good analogue version. It's probably also available from Astra, and
from local provider of DVB-C.
Marx