[vdr] RFE: Make VDR more friendly when using combinations of DVB-S, DVB-T and DVB-C

Henning Pingel henning at henningpingel.de
Sun Jun 17 23:42:25 CEST 2012

Am 17.06.2012 14:16, schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
> On 16.06.2012 16:53, Ludi wrote:
>> Hi Klaus,
>>
>> First of all, thanks for your reply and for taking the problem into
>> account.
>>
>> On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 15:32:11 +0200
>> Klaus Schmidinger<Klaus.Schmidinger at tvdr.de>  wrote:

>>> I'd rather have the channels.conf entries keep the names that are
>>> broadcast in the SI data. I wouldn't want to add a "source" suffix
>>> there.
>>
>> I understand your concerns.
>>
>> I assumed that changing the names in the channels.conf would be the
>> best in order to make also the plugins and other software use the
>> names+source for free. Moreover, since the channels.conf can be
>> constantly updated, I thought that it would not really matter, because
>> the names without source could be restored in the channels.conf by
>> simply disabling the new option and configure the update setting to
>> also  modify the channelnames. I was not aware that there was a
>> standard for the broadcasting of the channelnames; but it does not
>> surprise me either now.
>>
>>> However, I could imagine adding a function like
>>>
>>>     cString cChannel::NameWithSource(void)
>>>
>>> which would return things like
>>>
>>>     ZDF (DVB-T)
>>>     ZDF (DVB-S)
>>>
>>> or, shorter,
>>>
>>>     ZDF (T)
>>>     ZDF (S)
>>>
>>> and using that function instead of the Name() function at the
>>> appropriate places.
>>
>> If I get you right, that means that if the user activates the new option
>> (I assume that you will make it optional, since most people
>> probably use only one source and do not have the problem), the VDR uses
>> the NameWithSource() method instead of the Name() method.
>>
>> But what does this mean for the plugins? I am particularly thinking at
>> the plugins related to the timers, like the epgsearch and the live
>> plugin. Will they have to be adapted or will they also show the
>> name+source if the new option is enabled?
>>
>> Concerning whether to use the longer or the shorter version of the
>> name+source, I would choose the shorter version to not increase chances
>> of the new name not fitting in the OSD. Thus:
>>
>>      ZDF (S)
>>      ZDF (T)
>>      ZDF (C)
>
> After sleeping over this for a night I tend to follow your idea of
> using modifed
> names directly, thus having them appear everywhere.
>
> I won't change these names in channels.conf, though (this file shall
> always
> store what comes from the broadcaster - provided it is enabled in the
> setup).
> I'll rather
>
> - Make a setup option to "Show channel names with source" (default is
> "no").
> - Modify cChannel::Name() and cChannel::ShortName() to optionally
>   append the source character (A, C, S, T, I, ...) to the channel name
> [...]

Hi,

satellite sources are a special case because with satellites it is
possible to receive more than one satellite position. For example, there
is a channel called "Sky Atlantic HD" on S28.2E, but there's also a
channel called "Sky Atlantic HD" on S19.2E. Both channels have different
EPG data and different audio/language streams.

My suggestion: Users with more than one satellite position might want to
enable an option "Show full satellite position name" so that they don't
see "Sky Atlantic HD (S)" but instead "Sky Atlantic HD (S19.2E)".

Cheers,
Henning