[vdr] Digital Devices (Linux 4 Media) 4 port (8 tuner) octopus/Duoflex experiences

Oliver Schinagl oliver+list at schinagl.nl
Mon Nov 26 11:45:24 CET 2012

On 26-11-12 11:32, Michael Stilmant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested for such information. (I'm looking also for good well supported DVB-S2 device to target multiple satellite)
>
> I've a question for you Olivier. I don't know that brand. Why going to 1 dualtuner board and the octopus. In the same brand you can also use the Cine S2 that could eventually be expended with a dualtuner board for example. What are the limitation?
 From what I know, is that the hardware is nearly identical on both setups.

The Cine S2 is an octopus with only 2 connectors (which allows 4 extra
tuners) and has 2 onboard tuners, so 6 tuners maximum.

The Octopus is ONLY the bridge chip (in FPGA form strangly in the latest
revisions, was the nGene before, driver is the same so maybe they got
some IP from micronas to put in the FPGA due to performance/scaling
issues?) but has 4 connectors for expansion cards. So you can connect 8
tuners maximally :)

That said, they also have a single/dual CI expansion module to go onto 1
of those connectors, but I dare not to find out how their CI driver
support is. Usually softcams work much better.