[vdr] Digital Devices (Linux 4 Media) 4 port (8 tuner) octopus/Duoflex experiences

Füley István aironet at tigercomp.ro
Mon Nov 26 12:54:04 CET 2012

Hi,

I'm not using such a card, but I use a multituner (4 tuner) VDR setup,
and I really like this 8 tuner/1slot idea.
I have two major problems with my setup;
1. Using PCI cards I'm limited to a maximum of 5 tuners, and I also need
to use a PCI gigabit network adapter, so I have 4 tuners. I had bad
experiences with USB DVB-S2 adapters (random restarts, bad signal
locking, etc).
2. My 4 tuners are not from the same manufacturer and/or model, so I
have to use different driver modules for them. But all of my card's
drivers has some issues. For example one of the cards can't lock on SR
30k, I have to use 29999 in channels.conf. So, if I have a line in
channels.conf, I'm not 100% sure, that ALL of my tuners will work on
that channel. This leads to the conclusion, that for multituner setup is
highly recomended to use ONLY one kind of card with the suitable driver.

In conlcuision I'm also interested, maybe someone can share some
experiences with Duoflex modules. If they are reliable, having stable
drivers, it could be an interesting solution for multituner setup.

István