[vdr] Digital Devices (Linux 4 Media) 4 port (8 tuner) octopus/Duoflex experiences

Oliver Schinagl oliver+list at schinagl.nl
Tue Nov 27 10:37:11 CET 2012

On 27-11-12 10:33, Ralph Metzler wrote:
> Oliver Schinagl writes:
>   > > I'm interested for such information. (I'm looking also for good well supported DVB-S2 device to target multiple satellite)
>   > >
>   > > I've a question for you Olivier. I don't know that brand. Why going to 1 dualtuner board and the octopus. In the same brand you can also use the Cine S2 that could eventually be expended with a dualtuner board for example. What are the limitation?
>   >  From what I know, is that the hardware is nearly identical on both setups.
>   >
>   > The Cine S2 is an octopus with only 2 connectors (which allows 4 extra
>   > tuners) and has 2 onboard tuners, so 6 tuners maximum.
>   >
>   > The Octopus is ONLY the bridge chip (in FPGA form strangly in the latest
>   > revisions, was the nGene before, driver is the same so maybe they got
>   > some IP from micronas to put in the FPGA due to performance/scaling
>   > issues?) but has 4 connectors for expansion cards. So you can connect 8
>
> Micronas has nothing to do with the new bridge. nGene is no longer in production
> and it also lacked inputs and outputs to support more tuners/CIs.\
Well the new FPGA based design uses the nGene driver, so it at the very
least is compatible on an API front. It would sound somewhat reasonable
that either they re-implemented part of the chip or got some secret IP
from micronas ;)

In any case, there is an FPGA on the board that behaves 'like' the nGene :)