[vdr] Filesystem hierachy standard patch needs review.

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at tvdr.de
Mon Sep 3 16:03:41 CEST 2012

On 03.09.2012 15:42, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> On 09.05.2012 16:36, Manuel Reimer wrote:
>>> what is the current status in this topic? Anyone working on this?
>>
>> Attached is a revised version of the patch, as I intend to adopt it
>> in version 1.7.30.
>
> Looks like I missed the discussion when this patch was posted
> originally. Here are my 2¢'s:
>
> +VIDEODIR     = /srv/vdr/video
>
> Using /srv is fishy and some distros like Fedora even disallow
> packages to put anything there. Recordings are automatically created
> and potentially also automatically deleted. Some of them you want to
> keep and some you delete after watching. So IMHO they are some kind
> of spool file where either the machine or a human decides about
> their fate. So nine years ago when I started packaging vdr for SUSE
> I decided to use /var/spool/video (could have been /var/spool/vdr
> too). The second best candidate would be /var/lib/vdr/something I
> think.
>
> +CONFDIR      = /var/lib/vdr
>
> Even though vdr may update some of the files there itself I still
> think they belong to /etc to make sure they are included in backups by
> default.

Since I myself only use the "one single /video directory mode", I absolutely
don't care what paths are used in FHS mode. Therefore I'll put in there
whatever the community agrees upon (although I doub't that there will ever
be an agreement ;-).

So anybody who feels like it, please post the necessary patch here,
and let me know whether or not it should go into the VDR source.

> What's missing is a directory for include files to be able to build
> plugins separate from vdr.

Makefile: INCDIR?

Klaus