[vdr] EPG not purged if -E- option set

Dave vdr at pickles.me.uk
Sat Aug 31 11:06:57 CEST 2013

I run VDR 2.0.2 on a Raspberry Pi. The device runs continuously, so to
avoid wearing out the SD card or needlessly spinning-up the USB disk
drive I run VDR with the -E- option to prevent saving the EPG every 10
minutes.

Today I created a timer for one programme in a long-running series and
was surprised to find that the Series Link plugin had scheduled timers
for earlier episodes, some broadcast several weeks ago! These timers
were then automatically deleted of course.

Looking at the code, it seems that cleaning up the EPG schedules is a
side-effect of writing the data file, so the -E- option disables both.
Having the EPG grow unbounded is perhaps not desirable on devices such
as the Raspberry Pi which have limited memory and CPU.

Dave