[vdr] Suggestion (patch) for sections.c

Teemu Suikki tsuikki at zuik.org
Fri Feb 8 14:52:46 CET 2013


Hi!

As I mentioned in my previous email, I'm using diseqc.conf to drive my
motorized dish.

I noticed that sometimes VDR generates false channe updates, when the dish
is moving. The problem is, channel switches immediately, but it takes
seconds for the dish to move. Often there is several seconds time when VDR
thinks it's already on the new channel, but old satellite is still tuned.

I googled and I noticed something about this in actuator plugin README:

"vdr assumes that, as soon as a channel has been switched to, the new
source (satellite) is valid, even if the dish is moving, so the autoupdate
function will assign new/updated channels to the wrong satellite. The
plugin's workaround is to disable autoupdate while the dish is moving and
restore the previous setting only when it has reached the target satellite.
It's possible that the plugin will fail to restore the value of this
setting. If you see that channels aren't updating anymore check this
setting (main menu->configuration->dbv->update channels, note that while
the dish is moving this setting is always "no", so check and modify it only
when the actuator is idle). "

RotorNG does not have such hack, so it still suffers from this problem.
Also as I said, I use VDR "as is" without rotor-ng, and have this problem.

I made the following patch to sections.c, this is for vdr 1.7.27 but I
guess it's similar in newer VDRs as well..

If source has been changed, it forces a 10 second delay. This means that
epg data and channel updates are disabled during that time, but it
shouldn't matter.

10 seconds might not be quite enough to get to the new position with a slow
motor, but it is enough to make the frontend loose lock on the previous
satellite..

Here's also example from syslog:

Feb  8 15:17:23 yavdr vdr: [16352] switching to channel 990
Feb  8 15:17:23 yavdr vdr: [16420] New source 0x5300ff7e, 10sec wait forced
in section loop
Feb  8 15:17:29 yavdr vdr: [16419] frontend 1/0 lost lock on channel 990,
tp 112322
Feb  8 15:17:30 yavdr vdr: [16419] frontend 1/0 regained lock on channel
990, tp 112322

Here you can see how it takes full 6 seconds before frontend reports lost
lock, after channel switch.. Channel is really switched at 15:17:30 when it
regains lock. If any section data would be received between 15:17:23 -
15:17:29, it would be registered on the wrong satellite.

------------------------------
The patch:

*** vdr-alt/sections.c  2007-10-14 15:52:07.000000000 +0300
--- vdr/sections.c      2013-02-08 14:50:30.524186976 +0200
***************
*** 164,169 ****
--- 164,171 ----

  void cSectionHandler::Action(void)
  {
+   int PrevSource=shp->channel.Source();
+
    SetPriority(19);
    while (Running()) {

***************
*** 183,188 ****
--- 185,196 ----

          if (poll(pfd, NumFilters, 1000) > 0) {
             bool DeviceHasLock = device->HasLock();
+            if (PrevSource!=shp->channel.Source()) {
+                 PrevSource=shp->channel.Source();
+                 DeviceHasLock = false;
+                 dsyslog("New source 0x%x, 10sec wait forced in section
loop\n",PrevSource);
+                 cCondWait::SleepMs(10000);
+            }
             if (!DeviceHasLock)
                cCondWait::SleepMs(100);
             for (int i = 0; i < NumFilters; i++) {



-- 
Teemu Suikki
http://www.z-power.fi/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/attachments/20130208/d1322c8f/attachment.html>


More information about the vdr mailing list