[vdr] VDR unit testing setup

Malte Forkel malte.forkel at berlin.de
Mon Jul 29 12:25:30 CEST 2013

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on how to best setup VDR for unit testing.

I'm working on a Python library that provides access to VDR's channels,
timers, etc. Currently, it supports SVDRP and file-based access. Other
types of connections like RESTful might follow.

Setting up unit tests for file-based components is rather
straightforward. It doesn't require a running VDR and I can use test
files as required.

Unit tests for SVDRP based components seem to require a running VDR in
different reproducable states (data, time, VDR version, ...). I'm not
sure what would be the best way to achieve that. May be, I can use a
virtual machine, ideally without any real DVB hardware?

Thanks,
Malte