[vdr] VDR unit testing setup

Malte Forkel malte.forkel at berlin.de
Tue Jul 30 18:37:09 CEST 2013

Am 30.07.2013 09:44, schrieb Gerald Dachs:
> No, it was not misleading, I understood your intention. I wrote it only,
> because I am sure that you shouldn't user svdrp for your library.
> Instead you should use the restfulapi or the vdr2dbus-plugin.

Ah, ok. Thanks for your suggestions.

I started with those two connection types for the following reasons:
 - They are available with every VDR installation,
 - they promised to provide the most complete and up-to-date access
because they are included with VDR and the plugins, respectively, and
 - they are supported by the plugins I was most interested in (mostly
EPGSearch).

Fortenately, I havn't experienced any conflicts when using SVDRP
connections in the library. I understand that there can be only one
active SVDRP connection at any time, potentially causing timeouts. But
that restriction could be an advantage, too, because it might protect
against at least some inconsistencies caused by two or more clients
accessing VDR's data at the same time.

The library is designed to be extensible with other connection types,
like those you mention. But unless my scripts run into problems (and
they havn't so far), I'd rather add some unit tests to what I already
have first and extend the set of connection types after that (actually,
the stubs for restful and dbus have already been there for a while :-).

Malte