[vdr] New Makefile system

Helmut Auer vdr at helmutauer.de
Sun Mar 24 11:51:47 CET 2013

> Helmut Auer wrote:
>> Sorry to hack this thread , but my wound is still wide open :(
>> There also was a makefile concept for ten years and apparently no one has a
>> problem with it, but it was changed and that that has cost me many many hours
>> and days and all the fun I had with VDR before ...
>
> Then please, finally, name your problems, so someone can help you to find solutions.

There's nothing to find anymore, I had to debug crashes of a plugin (not my own) which were
caused by migrating to the new makefile, because cflags and c++flags were differnet.
I searched for the segfault in the code but the reason was the make, and that costs me some days.
And also the migration of many plugins costs me a lot of time.

> The old Makefile system did not work well for packaging and made it
> unneccessarily difficult to build plugins from outside the VDR source. It also
> often required manual steps to be done after installing the plugin (copy
> resources or something like that) which can be done in the "install" target,
> now. So in my opinion the new system is a big benefit for 2.0.

Just for my point of view, I do not have any benefit of the new makefile concept, only trouble.
This makefile change has lead to the biggest cut in VDR times, imho such a change should be made
after a major release not (in VDR times) short before a major release.

If I'd be a a vdr user thats no problem, I can stay with vdr 1.7.32. Bu unfortunately I'm a
distributor and I've promised my users a new version with VDR 2.0.
Now I have the choice between breaking my word or setting up the new system which will cost me
some more days with a system that I do not like.

Helmut Auer, helmut at helmutauer.de