[vdr] New Makefile system

Christopher Reimer vdr at creimer.net
Sun Mar 24 13:01:44 CET 2013

Am 24.03.2013 11:51, schrieb Helmut Auer:
>> Helmut Auer wrote:
>>> Sorry to hack this thread , but my wound is still wide open :(
>>> There also was a makefile concept for ten years and apparently no
>>> one has a
>>> problem with it, but it was changed and that that has cost me many
>>> many hours
>>> and days and all the fun I had with VDR before ...
>>
>> Then please, finally, name your problems, so someone can help you to
>> find solutions.
>>
> There's nothing to find anymore, I had to debug crashes of a plugin
> (not my own) which were caused by migrating to the new makefile,
> because cflags and c++flags were differnet.

I can't imagine, that this is caused by a changed Makefile.

Which plugin are you refering to?

> I searched for the segfault in the code but the reason was the make,
> and that costs me some days.
> And also the migration of many plugins costs me a lot of time.

You don't have to migrate them. You can stay with the old Makefiles.
Take a look at the VDR4Arch Project

https://github.com/CReimer/vdr4arch/blob/master/plugins/vdr-filebrowser/PKGBUILD

>> The old Makefile system did not work well for packaging and made it
>> unneccessarily difficult to build plugins from outside the VDR
>> source. It also
>> often required manual steps to be done after installing the plugin
>> (copy
>> resources or something like that) which can be done in the "install"
>> target,
>> now. So in my opinion the new system is a big benefit for 2.0.
>>
> Just for my point of view, I do not have any benefit of the new
> makefile concept, only trouble.
> This makefile change has lead to the biggest cut in VDR times, imho
> such a change should be made after a major release not (in VDR times)
> short before a major release.
>
> If I'd be a a vdr user thats no problem, I can stay with vdr 1.7.32.
> Bu unfortunately I'm a distributor and I've promised my users a new
> version with VDR 2.0.
> Now I have the choice between breaking my word or setting up the new
> system which will cost me some more days with a system that I do not
> like.

There's also a problem with your attitude. You want to provide all
plugins regardless of how old or how broken they are.

Christopher Reimer