[vdr] New Makefile system

Tobi listaccount at e-tobi.net
Sun Mar 24 14:15:01 CET 2013

On 24.03.2013 13:51, Lucian Muresan wrote:

> [...]

There's not very much which go wrong. As long as the plugins are compiled
with -fPIC and -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 there should be no ABI
incompatibilities.

I can understand your frustration - changing a myriad of packages is an
annoying task (been there - done that! :-)

But after all I think the new Makefile is much better and for the first
time works out of the box with the standard Debian packaging tools (which
require *FLAGS, DESTDIR, PREFIX and so on).

Packaging is much easier right now as you basically only have to do:

make all PREFIX=/ ...
make install DESTDIR=...

And for plugins that haven't migrated to the new Makefile the only change
I had to do was:

export CXXFLAGS += $(shell pkg-config vdr --variable=cxxflags)

The only thing I'm missing is a CPPFLAG in the Makefiles, which I hope
gets added in 2.0+X.

But I'm talking from the Debian/Ubuntu perspective only - things might be
slighty more complicated in Gentoo.

Tobias