[vdr] New Makefile system

VDR User user.vdr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 19:15:09 CET 2013

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM, Lucian Muresan
<lucianm at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> Even before Issue 18 was fixed it worked flawlessly on Archlinux.
>
> Well, and therefore you concluded it ought to work on any system, but
> that's not necessarily true.
> I wonder, do you use vanilla VDR or a patched VDR on Archlinux? Gentoo
> uses the extended patch, it's just the way it is, users are just glad
> that this is possible for them, and when doing so it is absolutely
> necessary that all of the plugins are built with the exact same DEFINES
> introduced by the patches, and that happens to well, happen or not, in
> the plugin Makefile.
> Ignoring them, just because of thinking "plugin A does not use any of
> the patches X, Y or Z, so I don't need the DEFINES" is likely to give
> you a working plugin only if you are _very_ lucky, otherwise unexpected
> crashes will bite you.

I've seen enough coder complaints to know it's an unwritten rule of
thumb that when you patch things and it changes/breaks vanilla
behavior, it's your responsibility to maintain and fix anything that
gets lamed. Rather than expecting Klaus to cater to such cases, you
should appreciate he's willing to consider them.