[vdr] New Makefile system

Manuel Reimer manuel.reimer at gmx.de
Mon Mar 25 17:36:06 CET 2013

Lucian Muresan wrote:
> I wonder, do you use vanilla VDR or a patched VDR on Archlinux?

https://github.com/CReimer/vdr4arch/blob/master/vdr/PKGBUILD#L31

One patch (MainMenuHooks) which doesn't change anything on the plugin API.

> Gentoo
> uses the extended patch, it's just the way it is, users are just glad
> that this is possible for them, and when doing so it is absolutely
> necessary that all of the plugins are built with the exact same DEFINES
> introduced by the patches, and that happens to well, happen or not, in
> the plugin Makefile.

The best way to resolve this would be to switch to separate patches as soon as
possible. The extension patch is broken by design, as it causes the VDR to place
header files with conditional compiling expressions. So the API changes based on
the DEFINES even after installation!

> Ignoring them, just because of thinking "plugin A does not use any of
> the patches X, Y or Z, so I don't need the DEFINES" is likely to give
> you a working plugin only if you are _very_ lucky, otherwise unexpected
> crashes will bite you.

The extension patch already patches *many* files in the VDR source, so as it
requires the DEFINES to be exported, it should also patch the Makefile to export
them in the cflags variable in vdr.pc.

Yours

Manuel