[vdr] Streaming DVD contents from VDR?

Marko Mäkelä marko.makela at iki.fi
Sat Feb 1 21:42:49 CET 2014

Hi,

I have a minimal setup consisting of an old PC sitting in a different
room, and a Samsung SmartTV in the living room. We rarely watch any DVDs
in my family, so we do not have any dedicated DVD player.

I used to use a DVD player plugin when the VDR PC was in the living
room, attached to a TV, but I would prefer to have a mostly-headless
setup (the VDR PC is only hooked to a VGA monitor, no sound output at
the moment).

I checked both the Streamdev plugin and the SmartTV plugin, but neither
seem to support DVDs at the moment:

http://projects.vdr-developer.org/projects/plg-streamdev/
http://projects.vdr-developer.org/projects/plg-smarttvweb/

I wonder if there is any easy solution to stream the contents of a disk
in the DVD drive of the VDR PC over the local CAT5e cabling. I guess
that an alternative solution could be to transcode the DVD into MPEG PS
files, which could presumably be viewed on or streamed from VDR.

Best regards,

	Marko