[vdr] Minimum CPU requirement for xineliboutput + vdr-sxfe for HDTV

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Fri Feb 28 15:27:47 CET 2014

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:49:12 +0100
Michal Novotny <michal at lightcomp.cz> wrote:

> On 02/27/2014 09:29 PM, Stephan Loescher wrote:
> > I know from my own VDR-systems, that a Intel Core2 Duo @ 1.86GHz or a
> > Core i3 540 @ 3.07GHz has far enough power to run VDR and vdr-sxfe for
> > displaying HDTV.
>
> My personal experience is that i5-2500K 3.30GHz plays HDTV well, but
> playback on E6500 2.93GHz is jerky.

That's similar to my experience. I have a 3.1GHz i5-2400k and that can
playback HD smoothly, but my 3.2GHz Phenom couldn't. That might have
been my fault for not discovering the thread count option before using
the i5 though :-). The deinterlacing method makes a big difference too,
but xineliboutput makes that difficult to configure sensibly when you
have a mixture of clients with and without VDPAU.