Maintaining Mercurial (Hg) trees
Revision as of 18:36, 28 June 2005 by Mauro Carvalho Chehab
These are some simple rules for maintaing CVS tree:
1) Every CVS maintainer should be active at #V4L IRC channel. It helps to have more discussions at major changes;
2) Minor changes, like simple card additions (only a card row at card struct) can be applied directly for the maintainer;
3) Medium changes that needs modification on card coding or creating a new card type should be discussed at #V4L IRC channel to allow other contributors to discuss about the way it will be included. V4L maintainer should be warned to create a snapshot (if the change could generate impacts on other cards) BEFORE commit to CVS;
4) Major changes that implies changing some core structs should be discussed on IRC, posted to the list, created a snapshot THEN committed to CVS.
5) Every CVS maintainer should follow the "rules of thumb" of kernel development like: * Kernel rules to submit patches * Kernel rules to submit drivers * Kernel Coding Style
6) People interested in being a CVS maintainer should participate at IRC, before requesting changing access to V4L CVS.
7) Non active CVS maintainers or that doesn't like to follow the above rules may be dropped.