Webcam Related Software
Revision as of 01:46, 27 April 2010 by CityK
Here is a list of a software applications to use with your webcam.
- Mplayer -- Can be used to view webcam video by invoking 'mplayer tv://'.
- Camorama -- Hasn't been updated since 2007, but it works as a basic, simple webcam viewer.
- Xawtv -- A suite of video4linux related software, which can be used to view webcam video.
- Cheese -- "Cheese uses your webcam to take photos and videos, applies fancy special effects and lets you share the fun with others."
- Ekiga -- Ekiga is a free Voice over IP phone allowing you to do free calls over the Internet. Ekiga is the first Open Source application to support both H.323 and SIP, as well as audio and video. Ekiga was formerly known as GnomeMeeting.
- fswebcam -- fswebcam is a neat and simple webcam app for Linux. It captures images from a V4L1/V4L2 compatible device or file, averages them to reduce noise and draws a caption using the GD Graphics Library which also handles compressing the image to PNG or JPEG. The resulting image is saved to a file or sent to stdio where it can be piped to something like ncftpput or scp.
- motion -- motion-detection using a webcam (on sourceforge)
- sonic-snap -- webcam application specifically suited for the Sonix sn9c10x chip
- spook -- capture live video and audio and stream it over an IP network
- telak -- display remote or local pictures on your desktop
- vgrabbj -- grabs a image from a camera and puts it in jpg/png format
- Videoview & Device Debugger -- applications suited for some drivers present in the Linux kernel. Videoview supports the USB Video Class standard.
- UVC-streamer -- Grabs JPEGs from Linux-UVC compatible cameras and serves them as M-JPEG stream. It is very ressource friendly, most of the time you do not even recognize it in top. It allows to Pan/Tilt the camera, the upcoming second version (mjpg-streamer) will also support motion detection and plugins.
- Opengazer — head tracked and gesture detection; developed with a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 under v41
- svv -- Simple V4L2 video viewer