Re: Streaming over RTP

* Rod.Walsh@nokia.com <Rod.Walsh@nokia.com> [000524 14:57]:

> Having this kind of software open source is excellent. Is this Convergence
> only or are others invited to contribute?

Anyone may contribute. Announcements are made on freshmeat.

> 1. How is MP3 streamed over RTP?
> Do you use standard MPEG2 over RTP (RFC2250),

Yes. Fully RFC2250 compatible.

> loss-tolerant MP3 over RTP ("draft-ietf-avt-rtp-mp3-01.txt")

Not at this time, but we are very interested in it. Tests show that
MP3-ADU framing gives really good results.

> or something with RTSP over RTP (RFC2326).

Not at this time, but this is planed.

> 2. Is there any "Forward Error Correction"? (e.g. 1 parity packet every 7
> data packets or something more mathematical :)

Work in progress...

> 3. What players work with this? (Linux & Windows) And, do you need any
> plug-ins or hacks? (My uniformed guess is that nph-unicast.cgi is part of
> the answer)

RTP:
  freeamp works without plugin (Linux)
  mpg123 used with the provided dumprtp (Linux)

HTTP (using nph-unicast.cgi on a web server)
  freeamp without plugin (Linux)
  xmms without plugin (Linux)
  winamp is also reported to work (MS)

> I guess what I'm asking for is a workshop or HOWTO. What are the plans?

Plan: release a full GPL audio/video streaming solution.

Regards,
David.

--
david@convergence.de