Re: recording glitches ... again

>> for somebody to try vdr/dvb it would be usefull to have a kind of
>> "vdr-known-to-run-on-or-not-to-run-on-hw-list". what do you think
>> about it ? we could calculate some "minimum requirements" of it.

>I would like to contribute the following entries:
>
>1.  Siemens Celsius 1 System, Siemens D931 main board,
>    PentiumPro 150 MHz CPU, 64 MB RAM.
>    Maxtor 60GB UDMA/66 disk.
>    Main board does not support UDMA.
>    Very frequent glitches, some of them big.
>
>2.  Siemens Celsius 1 System, Siemens D931 main board,
>    PentiumPro 150 MHz CPU, 64 MB RAM.
>    Maxtor 60GB UDMA/66 disk.
>    Additional UDMA/66 PCI IDE contrller (Promise FastTrack/66).
>    Manually set UDMA/66 using hdparm.
>    Few small glitches (every other minute or less).
>
>If Ralph has the time, maybe it would be useful to investigate
>the problem on a weak system...

My contribution:

3.   Comtech-NoName, Tekram BX main board,
     Pentium II 450MHz, 128 MB RAM
     Maxtor 40GB UDMA/66 disk.
     Main board with UDMA/33 controller PIIX4,
     (DMA acitvated and tuned to 20MB/sec continous transfer rate,
     quad-word-dma)
     one or two glitches per recording even with no system load since i use 0.7
     driver, previously never observed even with high system load!, nothing
     changed at kernel or disk tuning. (ok, i did'nt record MTV...is the card
     really at it's limit?) With driver 0.71 no glitches observed so far.

Hope that it does'nt turn out a dual 1GHz as minimum requirement?
As you can see, there are a lot more parameters that can be the problem,
e.g. filesystem or kernel version or if there is another disk for the system...

Home | Main Index | Thread Index