[linux-dvb] Re: OSD (was: Re: Maximum number of PES filters - 8?)

> > I think for some functions - e.g. browsing the EPG - it would be reasonable
> > to PAUSE/RESUME the replay of recordings whilst the EPG is being displayed.
> >
> > In any case, the benefit of your VDR software is the GPL - there is nothing
> > to stop someone implementing a beautiful full-screen menu system for VDR if
> > they want to.  If people desire that (with the advantages and disadvantages
> > it brings), and if it's technicaly possible, then why not?
>
> I don't mean to keep anybody from implementing their favourite kind
> of OSD handling. All I'm saying is that *my personal* opinion ist
> that I want the OSD to be transparently "above" the video picture
> (no matter if it is a replayed recording or a live picture). I use the
> OSD e.g. to sometimes check if there is new email, and it would IMO be
> extremely annoying if I had to stop replaying every time I want to do that.

I guess the OSD is a very important feature, especially for vdr.
IMHO the most important feature still is the ability to replay
somehting without any audio/video dropouts though.
I think that nobody really cares when there is a lack of quality
when the OSD is in use, so maybe it's possible to free some
memory, while the OSD is not used, to increase the video buffer
to avoid audio/video dropouts when replaying.

I don't know if this is possible at all but it would be a
compromise that might make all happy.

Martin

========== mailto:martin@hammerschmid.com ==========
=RSA-PGP-Key ID:0x81783FE7 DH-PGP-Key ID:0x6B66589A=