[linux-dvb] Re: Minimum system

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 06:49:49 +0200, Clemens Kirchgatterer
<clemens@root.at> wrote:

> btw.: one day, a few weeks ago, i asked if somebody is intrested in such
> a distri ... nobody wanted it! ;-)

But now, everybody has read the article in CT 4/2001 and wants such a
system. :)

What I would need is the vdr functionality independently for 3 TVs. This
would replace/extent the multiple digital SAT Receivers I use now.

I think we need something very small and quiet in the living room. I am
also thinking about splitting the functionality. A small diskless box
with one SAT card in the living room and other places and a server with
multiple cards and enough diskspace somewhere else everything connected
by a switched 100 MBit network. On each box there should be vdr running
with the same functionality. For this some communication has to be
established between the vdrs to coordinate the use of all sat cards
either for viewing or background recording. kvdr has also to be
integrated into this. For the small box I have already thought about the
use of CompactPCI components. Just a CPU board, a CompactPCI/PCI adapter
and a DVB Card. The CPU board contains everything which is on a normal
CPU board including 100BaseT and graphic. Combine this with a
LCD-Display and a IR control and a proper housing and this would make a
very compact system. The Linux system could be loaded into flash if
necessary. I don't know the prices of the components yet.

An alternative would be to use only a central server somewhere and
connecting the composite outputs to all the TVs and pipe the IR signals
back. I do this already with centrally placed components with my
in-house TV network. An extension of vdr for multiple
concurrent/independend users is also necessary.

BTW, is it possible with vdr and the DVB card to do time-shifting only
with one card?
I have read the API but it is not clear to me whether one program can
read from the DEMUX and another one can write into the decoder
concurrently, both set to MEMORY of course.

I know, I am dreaming currently, :) but as experienced developer of
system software it seems to be a achievable task for me. If I can find
some time in the next few months I will try to contribute something. But
my next step will be to build one experimental server with at least two
SAT cards.

Emil

---