[linux-dvb] Re: DVD drive recommendations?

Am 25.02.01, schrieb Matthias Weingart <matthias@pentax.boerde.de> ...

> take a look in the current ct magazine 5 (page 154). DVD-drives that are
> patchable (to remove countrycode) are marked :-) Firmware patches for
> DVD-drives are available from www.firmware.com.bi

Currently, my T-Online (DSL)DNS cannot resolve this address. Since it is
only a relocator (I guess), I found the pages at
http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/

> Funny and simple: The Asus drive DVD-E612 has a jumper for this.

Lucky me, I still have my good old Pioneer-303-SCSI-DVD-Drive in my
Win98-machine, which is RPC1 as long as I leave that jumper plugged in
:-)
I still would prefer those Pioneers, because of the
Slot-In-loading-mechanism, which is just great (and which would it make
easier to get a black front).

>  I would prefer the LG DRD-8120B - it is fast, quiet, able to read all
> sorts of media and patchable.

And it is relatively cheap. Regarding the current c't-test, I would also
prefer that one.

Greetings,   Marcus

---