[linux-dvb] Re: some newbie questions concerning VDR 0.71 & DVB 0.82

> I am using 2.2.16 kernel with 0.82 driver and 0.71 VDR using lirc 0.61.

i.m using 2.2.18, dvb 0.82, vdr 0.71, lird 0.63pre4

> (2) could one kind soul give me a script to load the dvb drivers ? I still
> use "make insmod" which seems clumsy to me.But stupidly i cannot get to work
> my own script ( simply derived from the output of "make insmod" as it
> crashes the whole system although i cannot see a difference between my
> script and what "make insmod" does ?!?!

> (3) As i just jumped into Linux again, after 10 years of not Unixing ( last
> experience: machOS on NeXTStaion ) i have problems locating a proper startup
> script, where to initialize lirc, DVB driver and start the VDR demonized,
> could you hint me to something ??

i solved it that way: wrote 3 files in /etc/rc.d/init.d names vdrdriver, vdr,
and lirc, which i start at startup (init 3). so i can easily start and stop
parts of the system.

> (4) Currently i run a simple system with one DVB-s Card, connected to 2
> CAM's ( SEKA & IRDETO ).
> If i add more DVB-s cards, will they be able to use the existing CAM's for
> recording PAY-TV broadcasts or will each added DVB-s Card need its own set
> of CI-Module & CAM's ???

channels.conf tells vdr which card to use to decode a which channel. so you can
watch one free2air program and record an encrypted one. vdr knows which card to
use to decode the program.

> (5) I have a strange Problem with my CAM's ... whenever i leave the System
> on prolonged ( like 24 hours ) it happens quite often that the System
> doesn't decrypt anymore -> Pay-TV channels leave me with black screen ... I
> have to reinsert the CAM Modules to make it work again, and the CAM Modules
> are not only slightly hotter "hand-temperature"... anyone experiencing this
> too ?? Any solutions/workarounds ??? Would a CI-Reset ( which is not
> implemented in VDR right now ) help ???

same with me. i hate that. unfortunately there is no way to "reset" the cams.
i.d love to have that. irdeto runs perfectly, but seca 1.03 hangs sometimes.
i had the best result (that means no "outcommand errors") when i insert both
cams at the same time, and when the OSD is not used.

> (6) before upgrading to 2.4.x kernel: does DVB 0.82 & VDR 0.71 compile &
> work under 2.4.x ???

i tried it last weekend, but couldn.t manage to compile the latest DVB driver
with kernel 2.4.1. i could do this about 2 weeks before without prolems. so
i guess the problem is myself. ;) CAUT̀ON: you MUST upgrade lirc! you need a
newer version for kernel >=2.2.18

> Thank you so much, i hope i didn't ask "ohh those annoying newbie questions"
> over and over :-)

you are not alone.... :)

regards

Johannes Schoeller