[linux-dvb] Re: VDR, Linux, and big Harddrives ?

    [ The following text is in the "latin1" character set. ]
    [ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set.  ]

On Fri, Mar 02, Axel Gruber wrote:

> I have installed 2 60GB HARddrives from MAXTOR and 1 30GB Harddrive also
> From Maxtor. As i have installed the 60GB Drive i had Problems but no everything
> works right.
>
> Now i have buyed a 80GB Harddrive  also from Maxtor and i want to integrate
> it to my SUSE-VDR System - but at this time i have big Problems ! If i set
> the Juper J6 on the Harddrive Suse "see" 11 GB of the 80 GB Harddrive - if i
> donīt set the Jumper - suse "see" 30 GB of the Harddrive. - Donīt know what to
> do..
>
> so i have put it into a Windows Machine and made a FAT32 Partition on it -
> then put it into the Linux-Machine - and everything sems to work fine - now i
> have deleted the FAT Partition and made a LINUX-Partition - now everything
> seem to work fine - but after writing some big Movies on it i get Error
> Messages from Linux "hdc Drive Status - Device not ready" -
>
> Then i have to reboot the Sstem - then it works again for a short time...
>
> at the Windows-machine everything works fine without a Problem.
>
> Does anyone knows what to do ?

If you use kernel < 2.2.11 upgarde to a later one.
Please update your BIOS to the current version, or at the follwing line
to the lilo prompt:

boot: kernel hdx=c,h,s

c = cylinder
h = header
s = sectors

than the kernel should use the right geometry.

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

	Dieter Bloms (Dieter.Bloms@suse.de)

SuSE Linux Solutions AG,    Tel:   +49-911-74053653
Schanzaeckerstr. 10,        Fax:   +49-911-74053674
90443 Nuernberg,            Email: Dieter.Bloms@suse.de
Germany                     WWW:   http://www.suse.de