[linux-dvb] Re: FW: Problems with RCU (LIRC) while replaying

Am 04.03.01, schrieb Benjamin Harling <benjamin.harling@web.de> ...

> Christian suggested to check whether DMA is on for the HDDs (hdparam -d1
> /dev/hd?). If not the IRQ for lirc is lost during heavy utilization of
the
> HDD.

Yes.. this makes it better, but it's not enough with all systems. There
are 2 more (and maybe risky) options with hdparm, which can improve the
behaviour a lot: Blockmode and UnmaskIRQ.
I now use "hdparm -d1m8u1 /dev/hda" and I can't notice any more
differences in responsiveness. Before, the remote-control was very sloppy
while fast-forwarding/fast-rewind.

I might have another idea regarding remote-control: there are some nice
compact PC-Keyboards with IR on the market. They may be bigger than a
normal RC, but they have a few advantages one might consider useful:

- no fiddling with additional software like LIRC, just compile VDR with
REMOTE=KBD
- no fiddling with home-brew-hardware, thus enabling the
not-so-experienced user to built a VDR
- VDR could be expanded to support normal keyboard-input, this could
increase comfort in places where you can enter Text
(timer/recordings-names) or even enable commands with input :-)

Greetings,  Marcus

---