[linux-dvb] Re: Two technical questions...

Am Mon, 05 Mär 2001 schrieben Sie:
> Hello (again) ;-)
  Hi !

> I plan to set up my vdr-box in my livingroom. there is no vga-monitor,
> so i dont have access to the linux-console.
> How do you all handle this ? Do you use a tv-out card under XF86 ?

First I had an old 9" VGA Monitor fitting perfectly between a heap of DVD's :-)
Then I sometimes booted a SuSE 7.1 CD Rom with a Kernel where Framebuffer
Device was aktivated - and the Console-Text was readable when I converted the
VGA Signal to S-Video. I think I will build such a kernel for my VDR too.

Booting with X : I can't recommend that - because I had a few Problems making a
"make insmod" [still does not why] and if you forget to connect a PS/2 mouse
the whole system "hangs" if you cant telnet the box ... :(
And hence X you loose HDD space :-)

--
Bis denn,

Ulrich

People who have used a 100 megabyte hard drive that weighed two and a quarter
tons and cost more than US$130,000 in 1968 experience a special sense of wonder
when tucking one of today's 2.1 gigabyte drives, just purchased for less than
US$1000 (... as seen on Ebay)

---