[linux-dvb] Questions about NOVA/low-budget card

Anton Schegg writes:
 > Now I'm looking for a NOVA card that has no own processor and no "black
 > box"-firmware. I'm hoping that getting the required information is easier
 > with this card. Does anybody (Ralph?) know if there is some technical
 > documentation available? Necessary input includes the information on how to
 > initialize the different IC. How to access the TS?

You can get the SAA7146 datasheet directly from Philips.
The documentation of the DVB decoder VES1893 by VLSI (also owned
by Philips now) is, AFAIK, still under NDA. But the driver is open
source and the meaning of the relevant registers is obvious from
reading the code.

The 22KHz output is controlled by one of the GPIO pins of the SAA7146.
The TS is delivered through one of the video ports of the SAA7146.
The packet start pin of the DVB decoder is misused as hsync and,
through a frequency divider, also as vsync.

 > Do you think that investigating the Linux driver source code is enough to
 > understand how the different hardware components work together?

Yes, plus a lot of time ...

Ralph

---