[linux-dvb] Re: pes_filter question

Steve Brown wrote:

> DMX_OUT_TS_TAP is clear and I have been able to collect filtered packets
> from /dev/dvr.
>
> DMX_OUT_TAP is not clear. The documentation suggests that it is just the
> payload data, without ts headers, etc.
>     However, it's not clear from which device one collects the output
> nor the format of the stream.
>     If it is just the payload data, what happens to the PTS info in the
> adaptation field?

With DMX_OUT_TAP you get PES packets for one ES. You read from the
same device on which you issued the DMX_SET_PES_FILTER ioctl.

DMX_OUT_TS_TAP remuxes the PES packets selected by multiple
DMX_SET_PES_FILTER ioctls into one new TS, which you read from the
logical dvr device.

A budget card w/o hardware demuxer may also allow you to get
the full, unfiltered TS. But I don't know details on how this
is handled by the API.

> My goal is to forward a PES (or whatever makes the most sense) stream to
> an external decoder. Am I going in the right direction?

Yes, if there's no hardware to forward the PES to the decoder,

> I've been trying to read 13818-1. Is the usage of the term "PES" in the
> driver/doc the same as the ISO standard?

Yes.

Johannes

---