[linux-dvb] Re: Using a low-budget card as a secondary card.

Margit Fiegert wrote:

> Carsten Koch schrieb:
> >
> > In item 2.03, Stefan's FAQ says: "Hey just use a low-budget card
> > to record and a full featured card for replay and you're done".
> >
> > I have 3 questions about this:
> >
> > 1)  Has anyone tried this successfully with VDR?
>
> Has this been answered yet?

No.
I think Ralph mentioned in a recent post that he has got
almost no feedback on his driver port to the budget/Nova
card, so I guess nobody is using it with VDR. :-(

> Are there no problems of vdr using the old api while controlling the
> software filters assumingly is done with the new api?
>
> Additional question: Are there any problems with (audio/video)
> dropouts/dirstortions, or would i really get the same quality in all
> recordings as when watching TV directly via DVB?

I am already seeing frequent audio distortions and (very rare) video
distortions with my current DVB-S card. Also see Benjamin's post at
    http://linuxtv.org/mailinglists/linux-dvb/msg03734.html
so I would be surprised if that would not become worse when
recording several channels simultaneously.

Carsten.

> Macrus Metzlers mail (19.2.01 "Re: Umwandeln") suggests this:
> >Otherwise you would just record the TS stream and also get all the other nice information
> >like teletext, EPG etc. in one nicely muxed stream. (If you have a
> >Haupauge Nova than you can get this)
>
> Greetings
>     Michael
>
> PS: Many thanks to Stefan for his FAQ!.
> You were a bit faster, I also started this weekend to set one up.

  | Carsten Koch                       E-Mail:  ckoch@ptc.com  |
  | Team Leader Surf Architecture and Graphical User Interface |
  | ICEM Technologies GmbH                Fax: +49-4286-1608   |
  | Waldsiedlung 7                      Phone: +49-4286-920001 |
  | 27404 Elsdorf-Hatzte, Germany        http://www.icem.com   |