[linux-dvb] Sourcecode for Firmware

Christian Daniel writes:
 > I wonder if it was possible to get out fingers on the sourcecode to the
 > AV7110 firmware. Or does the GPL only apply to the Linux driver sources?

The firmware is closed source and contains code copyrighted by several
companies. It is not under GPL.
Siemens only allowed us to release our own binary version with the
Linux driver.
Most of the firmware also consists of a binary only library by TI (RTSL).

I already included the boot loader sources in the last CVS
versions. But this is only possible because I completely rewrote it.
I could also provide a framework for writing your own
firmware only with the GNU toolchain but you could not do much with
it. The RTSL is in ALF format which the GNU toolchains don't
understand, complete register descriptions (ones which are longer
than 2 lines per register) are not available, etc.
Somebody who only wants to play with an ARM7TDMI core might still
be interested?

 > With the firmware I think it would be easy to patch it that way that we
 > can get the complete TS.

Well, if you think it is so easy, please explain.

 > And, does somebody know if the current version does support concurrent
 > record & playback (to do time-shift). The drivers do not, but I would like
 > to implement this. Please tell me if I donīt need to try it...

The way the buffer handling is implemented in the current firmware
this is not really possible.
There are rumors that the next Windows drivers will support this but it
would have to have a new firmware and I have no access to that.
I also cannot just use other firmware binaries because of changes I
made which I rely on.
I am working on my own solution but this is not the highest priority
for me right now.

Ralph

---