[linux-dvb] Re: MP3 support for VDR.

On Fri, 09 Mar 2001 14:30:58 +0100, Carsten Koch <Carsten.Koch@icem.de>
wrote:

> Has nobody taken a look at the code that I included
> in my original mail? ;-)

Sorry, I read it, but couldn't remember. ;-)

> That code is based on Harald Westphal's idea to use
> mpg123 to decode the MP3 and add a PES header to the
> uncompressed audio. Unfortunately, AFAIK the DVB card
> can only uncompress layer 2 sound.

I tink the CPU performance of a system which can handle DVB streams is
good enough to decode MP3. :)
The solution with PCM is good enough.

> Yes, I like Klaus' minimalist concept of a VDR PC that
> does NOT have two sound outputs (one in the DVB card
> and one in the sound card) or two video outputs (one
> in the DVB card and one in the graphics card).

Yes, this is very good!
This is the starting point for a real multi-user Video/Audio server. I
finally would like to use a blown up server to support at least 3
independend TVs connected to 3 DVB cards with independend OSDs and
remote control. So video/audio directly from the DVB card is a
requirement. A 4th DVB card with PW can be shared by all. I may even add
one more card for time-shifting.
[BTW, does the DVB driver support interrupt sharing on the PCI bus? ]
Additionally kvdr will be used to feed a video projector with the best
quality image possible.

> My VDR PC is in the living room and I use it via the
> remote control and the OSD.

I'm still in the state of investigation of components. I first started
with multiple LPX sized boxes sharing datastore with Firewire/100BT. But
now I am leaning more to the central server because this is cheaper
finally an better to manage.

> In any event, I hope to have some time during the next
> week to implement the ideas described in my original
> mail.

I wish you success. :)
I am just starting and busy with the first steps and cannot contribute
much at the moment, except some ideas. ;-)

Emil

---