[linux-dvb] Re: Wrong time in VDR

Ulrich Gierschner wrote:

> Am Fre, 09 Mär 2001 schrieben Sie:
> > Ulrich Gierschner wrote:
> > >
> > > But this way, you can only take the time from Satellite within the
> > > daylight-saving periode (?!), because a few weeks GMT and CET are equal to each
> > > other. (If i remember correctly to the analogue SkyOne teletext clock ......)
> >
> > AFAIK the time provided by the data stream should always be UTC.
>
> Hmm ... and how do you change this, if you live in another timezone than CET ?
> (It seems that the VDR is "locked" to CET generated out of the UTC  ?)

Well, under Linux (and any Unix, for that matter), you usually have the
system clock running with GMT (aka UTC) and set the time zone correctly.
That way the underlying time is always the same, no matter where your machine
is located and independent from daylight saving time. So if a transponder delivers
"the time", you can easily synchronize your machine to that time (provided
the transponder really delivers a "good" time - many transponders are off by
some seconds, or even several minutes). "Local time" will be calculated from
the system time and displayed accordingly.

I strongly suggest you set your system time to be GMT and set the
correct time zone. That way you shouldn't have any trouble.

Klaus