[linux-dvb] Re: problems vdr0.71 dvb0.9

Ralph Metzler wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger writes:
>  > Johannes Schoeller wrote:
>  > > Mar 11 16:36:31 vdr vdr[1662]: loading /video/commands.conf
>  > > Mar 11 16:36:31 vdr vdr[1662]: ERROR: no video device found, giving up!
>  > >
>  > > sometimes also:
>  > >
>  > > Mar 11 16:33:18 vdr modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-81-1
>  > >
>  > > btw: (if you look at time) local time during writing is 14:42. :))
>  > >
>  > > load some modules, or what else. i don.t understand this... ;)
>  > >
>  > > pls help someone!!
>  >
>  > I'm not (yet) using the 0-9 driver (still have to switch to kernel 2.4).
>  >
>  > I'm not sure if the 0-9 driver still supports the "old" API, or whether
>  > they have already dropped parts or all of it. VDR currently still needs
>  > the old API to work.
>
> I dropped the old API in the latest 0.9.x CVS versions.
> The 0.9.x versions should only be used if you are willing to keep up
> with the CVS and can tolerate rapid changes in the API and the
> occasional lockup ... :-)
> I will not advance to version 1.0 before all is stable and the popular
> applications (like VDR) have moved to the new API.

This weekend I have re-written the cRingBuffer to run with two separate
threads (one for getting the data from the video device and another one
to write that data to disk). That second thread shall also perfom
remultiplexing to produce an "clean" recording. The remultiplexing
part is what I am currently working on, using the 'avpes2mgep' program
(posted in this list by Martin Schaller in august last year) as a starting
point. All this will be done with driver version 0.8.2.

Once the remultiplexing is implemented I shall upgrade my system to
SuSE 7.1 (kernel 2.4), and then I will be able to adapt VDR to driver
version 0.9.x. Since this is probably a major modification (switching
from the old API to the new one) I'd like to finish the remultiplexing
part first and have a stable VDR version 0.72 based on driver version
0.8.2.

So, the bottom line is: at the moment VDR is not yet capable of running
with driver 0.9.x.

Klaus