[linux-dvb] Re: Wrong time in VDR

another suggestion:
wouldn.t it be a good idea to sync the time
only on one/two preferred channels? that
would be great for people living in other
timezones.
eg: germany/autria : ard or zdf
greek, arabian, spanish people: they decide.

so during epg scan, once a day (or every time
you switch to your preferred channel) the
time is synced.

(and I hope I can solve my time prolem...;)

servus hannes!

Johannes Schoeller
<schoeller@gmx.at>
<icq 2802639>

> > > AFAIK the time provided by the data stream should always be UTC.
> >
> > Hmm ... and how do you change this, if you live in another timezone than CET
?
> > (It seems that the VDR is "locked" to CET generated out of the UTC  ?)
>
> Well, under Linux (and any Unix, for that matter), you usually have the
> system clock running with GMT (aka UTC) and set the time zone correctly.
> That way the underlying time is always the same, no matter where your machine
> is located and independent from daylight saving time. So if a transponder
delivers
> "the time", you can easily synchronize your machine to that time (provided
> the transponder really delivers a "good" time - many transponders are off by
> some seconds, or even several minutes). "Local time" will be calculated from
>
> I strongly suggest you set your system time to be GMT and set the
> correct time zone. That way you shouldn't have any trouble.

> Klaus

---