[linux-dvb] AW: Re: AW: How to setup VDR with SuSE

Hello,

>> There was another i2c-core.o file. I deleted it an compiled a new kernel
>> without any i2c support. When I start /DVB/driver/make insmod, the dvb
>> driver is loaded and working.

> Mmm, wonder if it will work without i2c-support, i set it to "module" and
> remember myself to delete the additional i2c-core.o every time i do
> a "make modules_install" (about once a week ;-)
Yes, it is working without i2c kernel support!

>> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.0/misc/dvb.o
>> depmod:         dvb_register_device
>> depmod:         dmx_unregister_demux
>> depmod:         dvb_unregister_device
>> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.0/misc/dvb_demux.o
>> depmod:         dmx_register_demux

> I assume after you rebuild your kernel and DVB-driver the above messages
are
> gone?
No, still the same. I did a make clean, make and make install for the
dvb-driver.
After this depmod -e gives the same results as above. I am using dvb-driver
v0.82, just for info.

> If not, make sure the modules
> /lib/modules/2.4.0/misc/demux.o
> /lib/modules/2.4.0/misc/dvbdev.o
> exist. (there the functions come from as a "grep dvb_register_device ..."
can
> tell you).
I just killed the whole DVB directory and untared the source file again.
Then I did the following:
1. "make" in DVB/driver
2. "make install" in DVB/driver (this is not mentioned in the INSTALL file)
    When I now enter depmod -e I get the unresolved symbols as mentioned
above,
    because devmux.o and dvbdev.o are still missing.
3. "make" in DVB/ost/src
4. "make install" in DVB/ost/src
5. Now depmod -e shows no errors!

But this was only the first part of the game :-)
Now I tried to start the dvb-driver by hand, i.e. I entered the following
commands
in /lib/modules/2.4.0/misc/:

insmod dvbdev.o
insmod demux.o
insmod dmx.o
insmod video.o
insmod audio.o
insmod sec.o
insmod frontend.o
insmod ca.o
insmod i2c-core.o
insmod videodev.o
insmod saa7146_core.o
insmod saa7146_v4l.o
insmod VES1893.o
insmod VES1820.o
insmod dmxdev.o
insmod dvb_demux.o
insmod dvb.o
insmod tuner.o

In order to get thinks running, I also copied the files Boot_up.axf, Dpram
and Root
from DVB/driver/ to /lib/modules/2.4.0/misc/.
After this I started vdr and everything is fine.

When I try to start vdr without loading the modules via hand, only the
following
modules were loaded from the kernel.

dvb                  2957072   1  (autoclean)
dvb_demux               4800   0  (autoclean) [dvb]
dmxdev                  5744   0  (autoclean) [dvb]
dvbdev                  1584   1  (autoclean) [dvb dvb_demux]
demux                    592   1  (autoclean) [dvb dvb_demux]
videodev                2848   3  (autoclean) [dvb]
saa7146_core           13824   0  (autoclean) [dvb]
i2c-core               10448   0  (autoclean) [dvb saa7146_core]

I think the problem is, that the modules have to be loaded in a specific
order.
This order seems to be wrong at the moment.
Is the order in modules.dep relevant for the order of loading the modules?
I believe, when the order is correct, than autoloading should work.
The next days I will try to find out more about this,

> Anyway, as i wrote in my "Install" Section, doing it with a small script
> (using make insmod) is prefered at the moment, i had all sorts of strange
> problem let it the kernel autoloader do :-(
If everything else fails, then I will try this.

Cu

Jens

---