[linux-dvb] Success story: DVB-0.8.2, VDR 0.71 and kvdr 0.32 work with SuSE 7.1

Hi,

Let me thank you all for contributing such great and useful software
packages to the public.

I've assembled a new PC for the main purpose to run VDR on it.
I bought the following components:
  - The same black ATX desktop case as shown on the image on Klaus home page.
  - A very silent Maxtor 34098H4 EIDE hard drive (ca. 38.16 GB).
  - Gigabyte GA-71XE4 (socket A) motherboard (mainly because this comes
    still with two ISA slots).  Bus clock is reducible from 100 MHz to
    90 MHz through dip switches.
  - AMD Athlon 750 MHz (this was the slowest processor I was able to get,
    everything below was out of stock).
    The CPU is now running with 675 MHz due to the reduced 90MHz bus clock.
    The most noisiest component is still the CPU fan.  I've tried to run the
    board without it and with huge additional self made 10x10cm heat sink
    attached to side of the original heat sink using two screws.  But this
    failed:  The athlon goes into overheat alarm pretty soon.  So I had
    to put the CPU fan back in, but I reduced its speed to 4200 rpm using
    a 56 Ohm resistor in the 12 V line.  But this is still louder than
    anything else in the box.
  - one 128 MB RAM DIMM
  - ELSA Erazor III LT
  - two Hauppauge WinTV DVB-s cards (those were the most expensive components)
    I've got the model 564 ones with two F-connectors at the slot side.
  - D-Link DE-528CT ethernet card.

I've installed SuSE Linux 7.1 but partitioned the disk manually using
a small 8 MB /boot ext2 partition, ca. 3 GB for /-system, a 128 MB swap
partition and the remainder mounted as /video.  ReiserFS for / and /video.

I decided to stay away from Linux kernel 2.4.0 and used kernel
2.2.18-SuSE instead.  This kernel comes with DVB 0.8.0 included, but this
didn't hurt.  But I had to remove the 2.4 kernel source package,
which was installed by YaST2 as default and replace it with the
package 'lx_sus22' matching the real kernel image.  Don't forget to
copy /boot/vmlinuz.config into /usr/src/linux/.config after that.
recompiling the kernel is unnecessary than.

I've downloaded the 'siemens_dvb-0.8.2.tar.gz' and 'vdr-0.71.tgz' and
proceeded as described in the README files.  On Mar 4th I additionally
downloaded 'kvdr0.3.2.tgz' and it compiled fine after running
     ./configure  --prefix=/opt/kde2 --with-qt-dir=/usr/lib/qt2
Of course I had installed the needed qt2 development packages first.

I can run 'vdr' in the background and use 'kvdr' on the Monitor
to watch TV or view any recordings I made so far.  I've attached a
small wireless IR keyboard bought from Conrad eletronic Type SK-7100
(order #95 69 45-88).  This keyboard has 14 additional so called
"mulitmedia" function keys above the normal keyboard layout.
There especially five keys labeled with the well known Fast Rewind,
Pause, Play, Stop and Fast Forward Icons.  I've still to think
about, how these keys could be mapped most intiutive to VDR functions.
I will try to keep you informed.

Regards, Peter
--
Peter Funk, Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee, Germany, Fax:+49 4222950260

---