[linux-dvb] Re: Questions about new API

Ralph,

Thanks for your clarification (and for to Marcus and Johannes for their
replies) - the logic makes sense now.

If I set a video and audio pid for a channel as you've all described, then I
can nicely read the data from /dev/ost/dvr.

However, if I try to do something else - e.g. mixing video and audio pids for
different channels, or just setting the audio pid (i.e. a radio station),
then things go wrong.  i.e. I am getting perfect audio and (if set) video on
my TV, but /dev/ost/dvr never provides me with any audio information.

Have you experienced similar problems?  I'm using quite an old driver (0.8.2
with the "n-tv patch" applied) and am testing on the Astra 28E satellite.

I guess it's time for me to upgrade to a 2.4 kernel...

Thanks,

Dave.

On Thursday 15 March 2001 16:18, Ralph Metzler wrote:

> I want to explain this a little bit more.
>
> I assumed that it only makes sense to set one PES filter of type
> PES_VIDEO, one of type PES_AUDIO, etc.
> (At least nobody at Nokia, who wrote the first versions of the API,
> complained about this interpretation yet).
>
> Those filters are the ones being used as input for the decoder, no
> matter what output is specified. Maybe the first input type should
> have been call DMX_OUT_DECODER_ONLY instead.
> So, for those filters the TAP or TS_TAP for recording through
> /dev/ost/demux or /dev/ost/dvr is an additional feature.
> If you want to record more streams (also video or audio) through the
> dvr device but do not want them displayed you specify them as PES_OTHER.
>

> Ralph

---