[linux-dvb] storage of video on CD

Hallo Matt,

right now I use ReMPEG 1.52 on my Windows Pc to reduce the Bitrate and
create SVCDs. So I can watch the video a standalone DVD. It's quite easy
to get up to 45 minutes on one CD-R(W) 80. Enough for most sequel on TV.
Right now I am going to write a simple MPEG2 transcoder for this purpose
for my Linux-Box.

For higher compression I play around with various MPEG2DivX tools. There
is some stuff around on the net. You can try the new but slow OpenDivX
or the MS Codecs. For most purposes, 1 Mbit/s should be enough for good
quality.

Would be a nice idea to have a menu option in vdr to send selected
recordings to an archiv, doing the job with the availabe CPU power as an
background task. Should't be to difficult to implement. If I find some
time, I will give it a try.

So long,

Joerg-Oliver Todamm

---