[linux-dvb] Re: about firmware

dan writes:
 > Sorry,  I formuled the question wrong. Do you know if Nokia in the alliance
 > with linuxtv
 > intend to offer such a firmware. Or their intended linux DVB set top box is
 > supposed to have an embedded cam? I mention viaccess because I think they
 > already have viaccess license for their standalone box.

I don't know what Nokia will exactly offer in their box. We have
no knowledge about the firmware they are using. We only agreed on the
same driver API to create a standard for Linux.

 > So they do not  have to pay extra money for it. (same descrambler chip isn't

Yes, AFAIK, they are also using the AV7110.

 > it?) As a plus they do not violate the viaccess patent as far they are
 > offering the firmware and not the source code. As we know only the reverse
 > engineering  of it is considered a fraud. If Nokia give us the firmware as
 > is, there is no fraud.

Why would they give us the firmware and what would we do with it???
The firmware is probably copyrighted by Nokia and only licensed to be
used on their boxes.
Furthermore, the hardware connected to the AV7110 on the Nokia box is
very likely to be (at least) a little different to the DVB card. So, the
firmware would not work on other boxes or PCI cards.

Even if they gave us the sources (I really don't think they would)
and we would adapt them to work with the card, the Viaccess license
probably only covers their implementation. Usually license fees are
based on the number of sold boxes or software licenses.
We do not sell the current DVB card drivers to end users and we do not
sell boxes ourselves. So how would this work?

However, if you want a software CAM implementation for one of your boxes
or a commercial driver for the DVB card which includes one, we could
certainly do that and somebody up in management would probably be glad
to take your order and sort out the licensing issues.

Ralph

---